Every French Bulldog owner wants their four-legged friend to be happy and healthy. To achieve this, some measures are necessary. One of these measures involves feeding the dog. Here is a guide to Slow Feeding Dog Bowl For French Bulldogs: The Ultimate Guide.
It’s no secret that most dogs gulp their food down as soon as they have the bowl in front of them. The reason for this is not just that they like it, but purely instinct. Like wolves in the wild, dogs defend their food and don’t want another animal to eat it.
In most cases, you can’t just stop your dog from eating that fast either. This is exactly why the slow feeder dog bowl was invented.
This product ensures that dogs have to eat slowly. Unfortunately, all too often it turns out that dogs also experience digestive problems and even pain when they eat too much in a short period of time.
Such bowls can prevent such problems. You can find a variety of different slow feeder dog bowls below so you will get the right model for your dog’s needs.
In this guide, I’ll explain everything you need to know about the slow feeder dog bowl. You will learn the advantages, the possible uses, and also what you have to consider when buying or choosing a slow feeder dog bowl.
What is a slow feeder dog bowl?
A slow feeder dog bowl prevents animals from devouring their food. Dogs and cats in particular tend to greedily approach their food and to eat the food quickly.
If animals eat their food too quickly, they inhale too much air which can cause gas and in the worst case lead to stomach problems. In contrast to a normal food bowl, a slow feeder dog bowl has small nubs or elevations on the inside, depending on the model. Due to the barriers in the bowl, your dog will need longer to eat its food.
Why do dogs eat quickly?
Almost every French bulldog owner knows the phenomenon: As soon as the full food bowl is put down, the dog basically inhales the food. Some dogs learn this behavior when they come from a fairly large litter and are in a competitive position.
In such cases, every meal is a competition for food. Especially when you have several dogs, many of them feel they are in constant competition for food. Then your dog may eat quickly because he is afraid the other dog will steal its food.
Or your dog eats very quickly and then eats the other dog’s food because the dog afraid that it will not get enough. In these situations, it helps best to feed the dogs in different rooms and as far apart as possible.
Which dogs benefit from a slow feed dog bowl?
In principle, a slow feed dog bowl is suitable for every dog, even if there are no problems. The reason for this is that the slow feed dog bowl trains the dogs to eat correctly and carefully and can therefore also be used preventively. However, it is especially important to buy the bowl if you have a dog that eats its food too quickly.
It doesn’t matter why this happens. It is important that you teach your dog how to eat. A slower intake of food is much healthier for the digestive tract. In this context, a slow feed dog bowl is especially important for dogs that are prone to gas.
Eating too quickly causes a larger amount of air to enter the stomach, which then leads to pain. This also creates immense pressure on other organs. If you want to do something good for your dog, you should definitely invest in a slow-feed dog bowl. Note that every dog has to get used to the bowl at first and is likely to have problems.
What types of slow feeder dog bowls are there?
There are slow-feeder dog bowls in different versions and different levels of difficulty for the dog.
Bowl with elevations or knobs
In these bowls there are several elevations in the middle at different heights around which the dog has to eat. For older and smaller dogs, the level of difficulty of the bowl is just right to slow down the eating and to encourage them to think a little without being insoluble.
Bowl with indentations
These bowls have a few indentations in the middle. This form of slow feeder dog bowl has a very low level of difficulty and does not prevent bigger dogs from swallowing.
Bowls with patterns
Bowls with spiral patterns and grooves on the inside are probably the best-known and most widespread variant of the slow feeder dog bowls. They are available in many different sizes and designs. Depending on the design of the bowl, the level of difficulty is quite high and some dogs have to make an effort to get to their food, which automatically makes them eat slower.
- MESS PROOF & SPILL PROOF - Spilled food is separated and contained at the top of the dog feeder, while spilled water drains into the catch basin below to keep your dog’s feeding area neat and clean.
- SLOW FEED BOWL INCLUDED - Comes with one Neater Pet Brands Slow Feed Bowl - Slows Rapid Eating, Reduces Vomiting, Improves Digestion, and stops Bloat.
- MADE FOR MEDIUM TO LARGE DOGS - Designed for medium to large dog breeds over 9" at the shoulder & over 18 lbs in weight. Includes (1) 7 cup-sized bowl and (1) 3 cup capacity Slow Feed Bowl. DISCLAIMER: Neater Feeder Express is NOT compatible with any Leg Extensions.
- SAVE TIME CLEANING - Thanks to its splash-proof raised walls, spills and messes are completely contained within the raised feeder. The feeder also comes with non-skid rubber feet to prevent sliding and additional splashing. This means less time spent mopping floors and wiping down walls.
- EASY TO CLEAN - All parts of this elevated feeder, including dog bowls as well as top and bottom basins, are 100% dishwasher safe. The Neater Feeder is Made in the USA. The stainless-steel dog bowls are made in India.
Which material is the best?
Slow feeder dog bowls are available in many different designs. When choosing, you should above all pay attention to the right material.
Ceramic or porcelain
Dog bowls made of ceramic or porcelain can be cleaned easily, and they are very robust. In addition, they do not emit any harmful substances and do not adulterate the taste of the food. However, you have to position them well, as they can break if they fall, for example from the kitchen counter.
Stainless steel bowls are very hygienic and easy to clean as well. Here, too, you should make sure that the bowl is labeled as rust-free and food-safe and is made of high-quality stainless steel. Certain alloys such as nickel, chromium or niobium can cause allergies or skin irritations in your dog and should therefore not be included under any circumstances.
Plastic or melamine
A slow feeder dog bowl made of plastic or melamine is cheap. However, these bowls are also the most unhygienic variant because they are not scratch-resistant.
If the bowl has scratches after a short time, food residues and cleaning agent residues can collect in it and you will have to throw it away. Another disadvantage of these bowls is that they often contain harmful plasticizers that can migrate into the food.
They also often have a strong odor and take on odors easily. If you want to buy a plastic bowl, you should make sure that it does not contain any harmful substances if possible.
- [ SLOW FEEDER FOR IMPROVING DIGESTION ] - Dog cat bowls perfect for fast eaters, makes mealtime last up to 5x longer, corrects gulping, prevents choking or bloat and indigestion.If you are finding a puzzle dog food bowl or maze dog food bowl for your fur friends, this is a good choice.
- [ SAFETY MATERIAL ] - Unlike ordinary plastic bowls, our slow feeder dog bowls are made of environmentally friendly materials that comply with pet food safety, heat-resistant and sturdy to ensure your pet's safe use.
- [ HEAVY AND NO SKID ] - Melamine Slow Bowl is more heavy for the size to reduce tipping over, non-slip base so that the dog cannot move easily while eating. Whether your dog has a diet of dry, wet, or raw food, these non-slip bowls will do the trick!
- [ EASY TO CLEAN ] - Slow pet bowls are top rack dishwasher safe,which means it's quick and easy to keep everything clean and hygienic.
- [ SIZE INFORMATION ] 6.8 x 6.6 x 2.3 inches , 6.24 Ounces , The Slow Feeder Dog Bowl is very Suitable For Small and Medium-Sized Dogs Slow Eating.
What to look for when buying a slow feeder dog bowl
In addition to the right material, you should also pay attention to other criteria for a slow feeder dog bowl.
The amount of food will vary depending on the size of the dog and the same should apply to the bowl. For a larger dog, you will need a larger bowl. It’s generally advisable to buy a model that is too large and simply add less food than to have a bowl that does not fit enough.
Even if a slow feeder dog bowl makes dogs eat slower, they have to get used to it first and will therefore try to get the food as quickly as possible at the beginning. If they knocked the bowl over, all of the food would fall out, making the bowl pointless. For this reason, it’s important that the bottom of the bowl is non-slip. This prevents it from moving while eating.
Easy to clean
Especially since a slow feeder dog bowl comes with different chambers and grooves, it’s important that you can clean them easily. Of course, it’s best if the bowl in the dishwasher safe.
What are the advantages of a slow feeding over a regular feeding dog bowl?
The most obvious difference is of course the design. A regular feeding bowl for dogs is nothing more than an open vessel.
It comes in different sizes and heights, depending on the dog breed. With the slow feeding bowl, however, there are additional compartments inside, so that dogs cannot simply gobble down the food, but have to take it in gradually.
This forces them to eat slowly, which prevents gas or even suffocation, which is unfortunately not uncommon. However, it can also reassure dogs when it takes longer to eat, realizing that there is no need to hurry. For example, if you have several dogs, then the dogs will react on instinct to defend their food and eat it quickly so that the other dog can’t eat it. With a slow feeding bowl, all dogs not only have to eat slowly, but also have to concentrate on their own food, which takes away the stress.
Slow feed dog bowl – FAQ
Which material is best for a slow feed dog bowl?
Most dog bowls are made of either plastic, stainless steel, or ceramic. Each of these materials can be suitable and safe, it always depends on the composition. You should make sure that the bowl is free of chemicals such as phthalates, PVC and BPA.
How often should I feed my dog with the bowl?
You basically swap the slow feed dog bowl for the usual dog bowl and then feed your dog like you normally would, once or twice a day. However, you can also seek advice from a veterinarian, who will then determine the ideal amount of food per day based on the dog breed and size.
Does my French bulldog need a slow feed dog bowl?
As already mentioned, French bulldogs benefit from this bowl, regardless of whether there have been problems so far. The bowl also has a preventive effect and teaches dogs not to hurry too quick.
- 🐾【 3-IN-1 】: Getting one Pecute slow feeder is equivalent to getting 1 anti-overflow pad + 1 slow feeder bowl (13.5oz)+ 1 pet bowl (13.5oz). Fit for small dogs and cats. Bone-shaped silicone dog slow feeder, the raised edge is equivalent to the anti-overflow pad, effectively preventing food and water from scattering to the ground. One side is a cat slow feeder bowl to hold food, the other side is a stainless steel bowl to hold water.
- 🐾【 SLOW DOWN EATING 】: There are some big or small obstacles raised in the Slow Eating Dog Bowl. Effectively prolongs the feeding time of the pet, prevents bloat and reduces the burden of the stomach, and improves digestion, at the same time, stimulates the pet's intellectual development!
- 🐾【 FOOD-GRADE MATERIAL 】: Made of 100% food grade silicone, non-toxic, high temperature resistant, no odor, foldable, clean and hygienic, caring for pet's health. 201 stainless steel bowl is also made of food-grade material. Safe to use!
- 🐾【 NON-SLIP 】: Silicone has its own anti-slip performance. When pets eat, the slow feeder mat can increase friction with the ground to prevent pets from moving, dragging, or knocking over the bowl while eating. Keep the ground clean!
- 🐾【 EASY TO CLEAN & STORE 】: Both the slow feeder bowl and stainless steel bowls can be dishwasher-washed, they can also be taken out for easy cleaning, or used separately. Foldable design for outdoor travel and storage.
How often do I have to clean the bowl?
To prevent a large amount of bacteria from accumulating, you should of course clean the bowl regularly, just like ordinary dishes. If you only give your dog dry food, it is sufficient to wipe the bowl once a day. With wet food it is necessary to wash the bowl completely every time. Once a week you should also put the bowl in the dishwasher or pour boiling water over it.
Is there an alternative to a slow feed dog bowl?
Unfortunately, the slow feed dog bowls are in the higher price range. If you want to save some money, you can get your dog to eat a little slower in other ways.
One possibility would be to put a tennis ball in the bowl with the food. This way the dog will have to eat around the ball.
Of course, this doesn’t always work because the dog can simply take out the tennis ball with its snout. What works better is putting the food in a muffin tin. As a result, the dog can only get to the food slowly and can’t eat so much at once. You have to refill this muffin tin several times though.
How do I teach my French bulldog to eat from the slow feed dog bowl?
Some people have trouble serving their dog food in a slow feed dog bowl. For example, some dogs just try to knock the bowl over to get all of the food. For this it’s important that you buy a bowl that has a firm hold and will not slip away.
But you have to be patient. Of course, your dog will have to get used to eating differently from one day to the next. After a few days, however, there should be no more problems. In some cases, however, you may need to choose a different slow feed dog bowl that is better to your dog.
- SLOWS DOWN EATING UP TO 10X: Outward Hound uniquely designed Fun Feeder dog bowls feature meal-lengthening ridges to help slow down your dog’s eating time by 10X!
- AIDS IN PROPER DIGESTION: Common issues that arise in fast-eating dogs include bloating, regurgitation, and canine obesity. Our Fun Feeder Slo Bowls both challenge and engage your dog during mealtime while helping reduce overeating behavior.
- MADE WITH NON-SLIP BASE AND FOOD SAFE MATERIALS: Outward Hound's Fun Feeder Slo Bowl, slow feeder dog bowls are made to hold in both fun and food as your dog forages through the fun patterns with its non-slip base. Bowls are BPA, PVC, and phthalate free.
- DIET DIVERSITY: Fun Feeders are available in multiple sizes and ridge patterns. These bowls are great for dry, wet, or raw food diets. The Large/Regular holds up to 4 cups of dry kibble, the Medium/Mini holds 2 cups, and the Small/Tiny holds 3/4 cup.
- CLEANING MADE EASY: Fun Feeder dog bowls are top rack dishwasher safe. Less work for you means more pup playtime after!
As you can see a slow feed dog bowl has many advantages and is worthwhile for every dog, also for the prevention of any digestive problems. The slow feed dog bowl also takes the stress out of the dogs and distracts them mentally as they are busy getting to the food. You will find a number of different bowls in specialist shops, which differ in size, design and material and thus meet different needs. You can find a suitable product for every breed of dog and regardless of size.
Last update on 2023-08-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API