Every French Bulldog owner wants their four-legged friend to be happy and healthy. To achieve this, some measures are necessary. One of these measures involves feeding the dog. Here is a guide to Slow Feeding Dog Bowl For French Bulldogs: The Ultimate Guide.
It’s no secret that most dogs gulp their food down as soon as they have the bowl in front of them. The reason for this is not just that they like it, but purely instinct. Like wolves in the wild, dogs defend their food and don’t want another animal to eat it.
In most cases, you can’t just stop your dog from eating that fast either. This is exactly why the slow feeder dog bowl was invented.
This product ensures that dogs have to eat slowly. Unfortunately, all too often it turns out that dogs also experience digestive problems and even pain when they eat too much in a short period of time.
Such bowls can prevent such problems. You can find a variety of different slow feeder dog bowls below so you will get the right model for your dog’s needs.
In this guide, I’ll explain everything you need to know about the slow feeder dog bowl. You will learn the advantages, the possible uses, and also what you have to consider when buying or choosing a slow feeder dog bowl.
What is a slow feeder dog bowl?
A slow feeder dog bowl prevents animals from devouring their food. Dogs and cats in particular tend to greedily approach their food and to eat the food quickly.
If animals eat their food too quickly, they inhale too much air which can cause gas and in the worst case lead to stomach problems. In contrast to a normal food bowl, a slow feeder dog bowl has small nubs or elevations on the inside, depending on the model. Due to the barriers in the bowl, your dog will need longer to eat its food.
- SLOWS DOWN EATING UP TO 10X: Outward Hound uniquely designed Fun Feeder dog bowls feature meal-lengthening ridges to help slow down your dog’s eating time by 10X!
- AIDS IN PROPER DIGESTION: Common issues that arise in fasting eating dogs include bloating, regurgitation and canine obesity. Our Fun Feeder Slo Bowls both challenge and engage your dog during mealtime while helping reduce overeating behavior.
- MADE WITH NON-SLIP BASE AND FOOD SAFE MATERIALS: Outward Hound's Fun Feeder Slo Bowl, slow feeder dog bowls are made to hold in both fun and food as your dog forages through the fun patterns with its non-slip base. Bowls are BPA, PVC, and phthalate free.
- DIET DIVERSITY: With 3 different sizes and 5 styles you can mix and match your dog bowls to fit your pup's personality! Fun Feeder Slo Bowls are great for dry, wet, or raw food diets.
- CLEANING MADE EASY: Fun Feeder dog bowls are top rack dishwasher safe. Less work for you means more pup playtime after!
Why do dogs eat quickly?
Almost every French bulldog owner knows the phenomenon: As soon as the full food bowl is put down, the dog basically inhales the food. Some dogs learn this behavior when they come from a fairly large litter and are in a competitive position.
In such cases, every meal is a competition for food. Especially when you have several dogs, many of them feel they are in constant competition for food. Then your dog may eat quickly because he is afraid the other dog will steal its food.
Or your dog eats very quickly and then eats the other dog’s food because the dog afraid that it will not get enough. In these situations, it helps best to feed the dogs in different rooms and as far apart as possible.
- SLOWS DOWN EATING — Slows rapid eating, reduces vomiting, and improves digestion.
- CAPACITY & DIMENSIONS — Holds up to 4 cups of food and measures 8.25 inches in diameter x 2.75 inches high
- FITS MOST ELEVATED FEEDERS — Fits the bowl slots for our Neater Feeder Deluxe (Large Dogs) and Neater Feeder Express (Medium/Large Dogs), as well as most elevated feeders that hold 2 quart bowls. Fits feeders with hole opening between 7.25 inches and 8 inches.
- PREVENTS OVEREATING — Using a slow feeder bowl will give your pet time to feel full so that they don't eat too much.
- DURABLE — Stainless steel and dishwasher safe.
Which dogs benefit from a slow feed dog bowl?
In principle, a slow feed dog bowl is suitable for every dog, even if there are no problems. The reason for this is that the slow feed dog bowl trains the dogs to eat correctly and carefully and can therefore also be used preventively. However, it is especially important to buy the bowl if you have a dog that eats its food too quickly.
It doesn’t matter why this happens. It is important that you teach your dog how to eat. A slower intake of food is much healthier for the digestive tract. In this context, a slow feed dog bowl is especially important for dogs that are prone to gas.
Eating too quickly causes a larger amount of air to enter the stomach, which then leads to pain. This also creates immense pressure on other organs. If you want to do something good for your dog, you should definitely invest in a slow-feed dog bowl. Note that every dog has to get used to the bowl at first and is likely to have problems.
- 🐾 FOOD GRADE MATERIAL: Made of 100% food grade silicone, non-toxic, high temperature resistant, no odor, strong plasticity and foldable, green, clean and hygienic, caring for pet's health. 201 stainless steel bowl is also made of food grade material. Safe to use!
- 🐾 3-in-1: Getting one Pecute pet bowl is equivalent to getting 1 anti-overflow pad + 1 slow feeder bowl + 1 pet bowl. Bone shaped silicone Dog Feeder Slow Eating, the raised edge is equivalent to the anti-overflow pad, effectively prevent food and water from scattering to the ground. One side is a slow feeder bowl to hold food, the other side is a stainless steel bowl to hold water.
- 🐾 SLOW DOWN EATING: There are some big or small obstacles raised in the Slow Eating Dog Bowl, increasing the difficulty of eating. Effectively prolongs the feeding time of the pet, controls the eating speed, prevents bloat and reduces the burden of the stomach and improves digestion, at the same time, stimulates the pet's intellectual development.
- 🐾 NON-SLIP: Silicone has its own anti-slip performance. When pets eat, the silicone pad can increase friction with the ground to prevent pets from moving, dragging or knocking over the bowl while eating. Keep the ground clean!
- 🐾 EASY TO CLEAN: Both the slow feeder bowl and stainless steel bowls can be hand-washed or dishwasher-washed, they can also be taken out for easy cleaning, or they can be used separately.
What types of slow feeder dog bowls are there?
There are slow-feeder dog bowls in different versions and different levels of difficulty for the dog.
Bowl with elevations or knobs
In these bowls there are several elevations in the middle at different heights around which the dog has to eat. For older and smaller dogs, the level of difficulty of the bowl is just right to slow down the eating and to encourage them to think a little without being insoluble.
Bowl with indentations
These bowls have a few indentations in the middle. This form of slow feeder dog bowl has a very low level of difficulty and does not prevent bigger dogs from swallowing.
Bowls with patterns
Bowls with spiral patterns and grooves on the inside are probably the best-known and most widespread variant of the slow feeder dog bowls. They are available in many different sizes and designs. Depending on the design of the bowl, the level of difficulty is quite high and some dogs have to make an effort to get to their food, which automatically makes them eat slower.
- SLOW FEED BOWL INCLUDED - Comes with one Neater Pet Brands Slow Feed Bowl - Slows Rapid Eating, Reduces Vomiting, Improves Digestion and stops Bloat.
- MADE FOR MEDIUM TO LARGE DOGS - Designed for medium to large dog breeds over 9" at the shoulder & over 18 lbs in weight. Includes (1) 7 Cup sized bowl and (1) 4 Cup capacity Slow Feed Bowl. DISCLAIMER: Neater Feeder Express is NOT compatible with any Leg Extensions.
- MESS PROOF - Spilled food is separated and contained at the top, while spilled water drains into the catch basin below to keep your feeding area neat and clean.
- SAVE TIME CLEANING - Spills and messes are completey contained within the feeder, saving you time cleaning floors and walls.
- DISHWASHER SAFE - All parts of the feeder including dog bowls as well as top and bottom basins are 100% dishwasher safe. The Neater Feeder is Made in the USA. The stainless steel bowls are made in India.
Which material is the best?
Slow feeder dog bowls are available in many different designs. When choosing, you should above all pay attention to the right material.
Ceramic or porcelain
Dog bowls made of ceramic or porcelain can be cleaned easily, and they are very robust. In addition, they do not emit any harmful substances and do not adulterate the taste of the food. However, you have to position them well, as they can break if they fall, for example from the kitchen counter.
Stainless steel bowls are very hygienic and easy to clean as well. Here, too, you should make sure that the bowl is labeled as rust-free and food-safe and is made of high-quality stainless steel. Certain alloys such as nickel, chromium or niobium can cause allergies or skin irritations in your dog and should therefore not be included under any circumstances.
Plastic or melamine
A slow feeder dog bowl made of plastic or melamine is cheap. However, these bowls are also the most unhygienic variant because they are not scratch-resistant.
If the bowl has scratches after a short time, food residues and cleaning agent residues can collect in it and you will have to throw it away. Another disadvantage of these bowls is that they often contain harmful plasticizers that can migrate into the food.
They also often have a strong odor and take on odors easily. If you want to buy a plastic bowl, you should make sure that it does not contain any harmful substances if possible.
- Slow Feeder for Improving Digestion - Dog cat bowl for fast eaters, make mealtime last up to 5x longer, prevents risk of gastric dilatation volvulus or "Bloat" and indigestion
- Melamine Dog Bowl - Made of food grade melamine material that are BPA, PVC and phthalate free, scratch-resistant and high gloss(which can't be seen in other plastic bowls), acid and alkali corrosion resistance, dishwasher safe
- Heavy and No Skid - In comparison to other materials such as ABS material and plastic, melamine material is more heavy for the size to reduce tipping over, rubberized bottom reduces skid
- Fit For All Types of Food - Kibble or canned food
- Small Medium Dog Cat Dish - Suitable for small medium dogs and cats between 6.6-19.8lbs, Capacity: 300ml, Hold 1.5 Cup particle Food, Base Diameter: 7 inches, Bowl Diameter: 5.5 inches, Height: 2.5 inches
What to look for when buying a slow feeder dog bowl
In addition to the right material, you should also pay attention to other criteria for a slow feeder dog bowl.
The amount of food will vary depending on the size of the dog and the same should apply to the bowl. For a larger dog, you will need a larger bowl. It’s generally advisable to buy a model that is too large and simply add less food than to have a bowl that does not fit enough.
Even if a slow feeder dog bowl makes dogs eat slower, they have to get used to it first and will therefore try to get the food as quickly as possible at the beginning. If they knocked the bowl over, all of the food would fall out, making the bowl pointless. For this reason, it’s important that the bottom of the bowl is non-slip. This prevents it from moving while eating.
Easy to clean
Especially since a slow feeder dog bowl comes with different chambers and grooves, it’s important that you can clean them easily. Of course, it’s best if the bowl in the dishwasher safe.
- Slow Feed Concept--The slow dog feed concept is advocated by experts and veterinarians at a wide range. This UPSKY slow feed dog bowl will make it come true. The raised parts in the bowl separate the food when the dog’s eating, which slows down its eating speed effectively.
- Using Qualified Material--The slow feeder bowls are made of PP resin which is food-safe, non-toxic, harmless but durable and recyclable.
- Elegant & Practical Design-- The bright Macaron colors will attract dogs’ interest, and make it much fun for the dog while eating. The raised parts are not too high while the gaps are not too narrow, it’s easy for the dog to get the food.
- Light And Exquisite--The bowl weights 6.4 ounces only. It saves the material, so as the space in your home. And its capacity is 1.5-2 cups, perfect size for the small and medium dog.
- Easy To Clean--For the slow feeder bowl has PP coating, cleaning of the bowl is also easy, it not only save your time but also keeps the bowls clearly.
What are the advantages of a slow feeding over a regular feeding dog bowl?
The most obvious difference is of course the design. A regular feeding bowl for dogs is nothing more than an open vessel.
It comes in different sizes and heights, depending on the dog breed. With the slow feeding bowl, however, there are additional compartments inside, so that dogs cannot simply gobble down the food, but have to take it in gradually.
This forces them to eat slowly, which prevents gas or even suffocation, which is unfortunately not uncommon. However, it can also reassure dogs when it takes longer to eat, realizing that there is no need to hurry. For example, if you have several dogs, then the dogs will react on instinct to defend their food and eat it quickly so that the other dog can’t eat it. With a slow feeding bowl, all dogs not only have to eat slowly, but also have to concentrate on their own food, which takes away the stress.
- ☀【PROMOTES FUN & HEALTHY DIET】: The fun feeder slo-bowls promote healthy eating, swirl flower pattern design can slow down rapid eating and stop choking, adjust pet weight, prolonging meal time prevent indigestion, interactive and fun feeder. Eat slower eat healthier.
- ☀【SIZE & DESIGN】: The pet slow feeder bowl diameter: 6 1/2 Inch. Bottom diameter: 8 Inch. High: 1 7/8 Inch. It can hold 1 1/2 cups of food. Suitable for small/medium dogs.
- ☀【NON-SLIP】: There are four non-slip mats in the package that can be glued to the bottom of the bowl to prevent the bowl from slipping. The slow flow dog bowl base widened to prevent being knocked over by pets, the bottom four sides are attached with anti-skid pads.
- ☀【EASY USE AND CLEAN】: The dog feeder bowl makes all fun feeders work great for dry or wet food diets, any amount of food go further and the dog feels full on a smaller amount of food, and top rack dishwasher safe.
- ☀【PERFECT EXPERIENCE】: If you have any confusion about usage or quality, please feel free to tell us. Making your life easier and more enjoyable is what we are after.
Slow feed dog bowl – FAQ
Which material is best for a slow feed dog bowl?
Most dog bowls are made of either plastic, stainless steel, or ceramic. Each of these materials can be suitable and safe, it always depends on the composition. You should make sure that the bowl is free of chemicals such as phthalates, PVC and BPA.
How often should I feed my dog with the bowl?
You basically swap the slow feed dog bowl for the usual dog bowl and then feed your dog like you normally would, once or twice a day. However, you can also seek advice from a veterinarian, who will then determine the ideal amount of food per day based on the dog breed and size.
Does my French bulldog need a slow feed dog bowl?
As already mentioned, French bulldogs benefit from this bowl, regardless of whether there have been problems so far. The bowl also has a preventive effect and teaches dogs not to hurry too quick.
- KINDLY REMIND: NOT FOR SHORT SNOUT BREED★The slow feeder dog bowl is better for puppy and Medium dogs.☎Anti-Chocking And Slow Down The Eating Time - Unique interactive jungle design,promotes healthy slow eating, helping prevent obesity, bloat, regurgitation and overeating. Also the smooth design of the mouth, to avoid the pet mouth and tongue from being scratched.
- ☎Making Your Puppy Eat More Funny - Dogs love food and slow feeding bowl feeder for fun dog bowls make feeding your dog fun too! Your dog will love maneuvering their mouth over the playful patterns of each bloat stop dog bowl.
- ☎Made In ECO Friendly Material - JASGOOD Slow Feeder Bowl is made with FOOD SAFE, High-Strength ABS materials,Secure your pets to use.Size Info: Diameter(20cm/7.8 inches), High(4.7cm/1.85 inches), Hold 1.5 cups.
- ☎Easy Use And Clean - The unique design of JASGOOD slow feeder bowl makes any amount of food go further and the dog feels full on a smaller amount of food, and top rack dishwasher safe.
- ☎Upgrade Anti-Slip Grip,Non-Slip Off - Slow feeder bowl base widened to prevent being knocked over by pets, the bottom five small rubber feet are attached with anti-skid pads, do not worry about pets to get food everywhere.
How often do I have to clean the bowl?
To prevent a large amount of bacteria from accumulating, you should of course clean the bowl regularly, just like ordinary dishes. If you only give your dog dry food, it is sufficient to wipe the bowl once a day. With wet food it is necessary to wash the bowl completely every time. Once a week you should also put the bowl in the dishwasher or pour boiling water over it.
Is there an alternative to a slow feed dog bowl?
Unfortunately, the slow feed dog bowls are in the higher price range. If you want to save some money, you can get your dog to eat a little slower in other ways.
One possibility would be to put a tennis ball in the bowl with the food. This way the dog will have to eat around the ball.
Of course, this doesn’t always work because the dog can simply take out the tennis ball with its snout. What works better is putting the food in a muffin tin. As a result, the dog can only get to the food slowly and can’t eat so much at once. You have to refill this muffin tin several times though.
How do I teach my French bulldog to eat from the slow feed dog bowl?
Some people have trouble serving their dog food in a slow feed dog bowl. For example, some dogs just try to knock the bowl over to get all of the food. For this it’s important that you buy a bowl that has a firm hold and will not slip away.
But you have to be patient. Of course, your dog will have to get used to eating differently from one day to the next. After a few days, however, there should be no more problems. In some cases, however, you may need to choose a different slow feed dog bowl that is better to your dog.
- ❇️【Promote Healthy Diet for Dogs】: The slow feeder bowl is carefully designed to slow down feeding that encourages pet to eat or drink at a slower pace preventing indigestion, vomiting and bloating. Help control canine obesity with the a maze in a bowl and a calory controlled diet. Eating slower is healthier for your dog.
- ❇️【Fun Puzzle Bowls Features】: Source of the design of nature, imitating the wild dogs foraging process environment, every meal will turn into a dog healthy and happy games.
- ❇️【Safe Durable Material & Reduce Slip Design】: The dog slow feeder bowl is made of Food-Safe,High-Strength PP materials,and is BPA free and phthalate free.There are four reduce-slip rubber feet in the bowl bottom, bowl base widened to prevent being knocked over by pets.
- ❇️【Easy Use and Clean】: The Slow Feeder Dog Bowl is suitable for wet or dry food. Any amount of food can go further and the dog feels full on a smaller amount of food with this unique design.Top-rack dishwasher safe.
- ❇️【Suitable Size Design】: Bowl Diameter: 7Inch. Bowl Bottom Diameter: 8Inch. High: 1.8Inch. Bowl Net Weight:186g.This slow bowl can holds about 1.5 cups(about 9 oz) of dry dog food. The slow feeder dog bowl is better for puppy and Medium dogs.Warm tip:This is NOT a CAT bowl !
As you can see a slow feed dog bowl has many advantages and is worthwhile for every dog, also for the prevention of any digestive problems. The slow feed dog bowl also takes the stress out of the dogs and distracts them mentally as they are busy getting to the food. You will find a number of different bowls in specialist shops, which differ in size, design and material and thus meet different needs. You can find a suitable product for every breed of dog and regardless of size.
Last update on 2021-04-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API